Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Silly boys, girls can hunt too!

It's that time of year again. Everybody gets all bundled up in their camo pants and orange vests. They sit around a fire, smoke and frozen breaths billowing into the sky. They shiver uncontrollably as they dream of the perfect score. They picture something big and manly they can use to adorn the living room wall and brag about to all of their friends.

Well it occurred to me that girls can do this too! Why leave all the fun up to the smelly boys?? Here is the story of my first hunt!

It was a chilly October night. The wind was blowing. . . . . some random direction with a little bit of rain mixed in. I was wearing jeans and a hoodie. (A girl as cute as myself wouldn't be caught dead in camo and orange) It had been a long trek through the night finding other random items in the Winco jungle but I was ready for the big score!!

There he was, sitting tall on a cardboard box above all the others. He was beautiful! I couldn't wait to show him off to all my friends.

(This is a dramatization. Not actual picture of actual pumpkin)

This is where it gets a little gruesome but you are just gonna have to suck it up and deal with it. I have always thought it was cruel to just use the animal for bragging rights, you gotta use the whole thing! That is exactly what I did. So I slammed that big boy up on the table and pulled out my biggest knife. . . . . .

(Again. . . this was a little too crazy for mid-action photos. This ones a fake.)

Next came the messy part. Now I am not the type of mom to leave the kids out of the murder and mayhem. This was a family endeavor dang it!! "Kids you get in there and rip those guts out!!" This was new for them, they usually only paint the ones we bring home. Surprisingly they adjusted quickly and called it "him" the entire time!

We seperated the seeds to roast later. I didn't like them but the kids thought they were tasty. Just baked them with salt, pepper, and cumin.

Next I was going to create my "Dinner in a Pumpkin"

1 Medium pumpkin cleaned out and roasted for 45 minutes at 375
1.5 pounds Ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
1.5 Cups chopped mushrooms
1 Tbsp minced garlic
Salt, pepper, and cumin.
1 Cup chopped cilantro
1 Cup frozen corn
1 can white beans.
1 family size can of cream of chicken soup.

Saute onions and garlic in some olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add ground beef and stir until browned. Add spices, corn, mushrooms, and cilantro, and beans until warmed through. Mix in soup until mixture is creamy but thick. Pour into pumpkin and bake for another 25 minutes.

We placed ours on a bed of fall leaves the girls had collected earlier. Instead of serving out of the whole in the top of the pumpkin we had to cut a piece out of ours because one side collapsed. It was still beautiful and tasted delicious. Luckily there are left overs for my lunch today!




So there is the story of my very first hunt. I'm sorry to report one pumpkin was harmed in the making of this blog. At least I will be well fed while battling the protesters!





2 comments:

  1. And relatively little fear of some other drunken pumpkin hunter mistaking you for their prize! win/win!

    ReplyDelete